For SEO purposes, claiming and optimizing the Google My Business listing creates a strong signal to Google that your business is active and allows you to rank higher in local Google searches for your industry. Google has a strong preference for local searches which allows small businesses to compete with national brands when someone is searching for a business or services from your community. The Google “local pack” of map listings is populated by businesses that have Google My Business listings. The more accurate and active your listing, the more likely you will appear on page one for your industry locally!
- Claiming and optimizing your listing allow you to manage the information that Google users see when they search for your business, or the products and services that you offer. When you verify your information with Google My Business, you are *twice as likely to be considered reputable by consumers (source: Google). Also, when people find your business on Google Maps and Google Search, you can make sure they see the right information including hours of operation, website, and the street address.
- Note: If you are a home-based business, or serve customers at their location, users will just see a red line encompassing your chosen service area.
- Claiming the Google My Business listing will allow you to read and reply to reviews from your customers, and post photos related to your business such as the logo, business owner, office building, ad graphics, products, etc.
- NOTE: *Businesses that add photos to their listings receive 42% more requests for driving directions on Google Maps and 35% more clicks through to their websites than businesses that don’t. (Source: Google)
- You will also be able to see detailed insights on how visitors have searched and for your business, and where those customers searched from. You will see information including how many people have called your business from the phone number listed on local search results in Search results and Google Maps.
- Many people use the Google Maps App for driving directions. Ensuring that your address is correct will allow them to easily navigate to your location from their mobile device
- Making sure the phone number is available and valid will also allow customers to call your business directly from the Google Search results page. If they are searching from a mobile device, they can tap directly on the phone number and call.
- The Google business listing is considered a ‘primary’ data source by many data aggregators and directory listing services such as Moz.com and Yext. Ensuring your listing is accurate and up to date will help improve and validate your other directory listings.